A venue with ties to many different segments of South Australia's arts community, Rhino Room is one of a handful of Adelaide venues to successfully relocate following the demolition of its original home. Rhino Room first began operating in 1998, from…

This Adelaide Bridge - a State Heritage place - was built in 1931. It was the third bridge on this site, replacing two earlier ones, and was the fifth bridge that linked the City and North Adelaide across the Torrens. The first bridge on this…

At the entrance to War Memorial Drive is a plaque, with the date 1919. This was the year that the first section of War Memorial Drive was opened (that is, the section between Frome Rd & Sir Edwin Smith Avenue). It was built by returned soldiers…

The SA Naval Memorial is an anchor mounted on a granite slab. It's surrounded by 32 bronze plaques, commemorating ships and services in the Royal Australian Navy. Surrounding the monuments are garden beds resembling the shape of an anchor.…

In the open area on our left, on the eastern side of Sir Edwin Smith Avenue, there was once a commercial tourist attraction; a Snake Park and Koala Farm. This attraction was opened in 1927 initially on just 1,400 square metres, just as a “snake…

This state-heritage listed bridge is named after Queen Victoria's husband, Prince Albert. This walk stays on the northern side of the bridge, but you can cross over the bridge to read an interpretive sign on the southern side, which gives some of…

Passing under the University footbridge, heading upstream along the banks of the Torrens you are strolling through Grundy Gardens. The Gardens’ main feature is the dry stone walling which provides paths and takes advantage of the topography of…

Turning left, along War Memorial Drive, you pass one boat shed on the left and two boatsheds on the right. The two-storey “Edwardian” boat shed on the left dates from 1930 and was erected by Prince Alfred College. On the right are the boat…

Crossing over the University footbridge just before we reach War Memorial Drive, we enter what was the first arboretum in South Australia – established in the 1920's by the City Council and named after then-Councillor George McEwin. These…

South Australia’s Legislative Council was originally a board of four that served to assist the Governors of the time. A 1842 act of British Parliament increased this to seven, with further restructuring arriving in 1850 as the introduction of…

As Adelaide entered its fourth decade, talk of establishing a scholarly institution befitting a modern city gained momentum. With the help of a significant £20,000 donation from Walter Watson Hughes, Parliament (led by Sir Henry as Chief Secretary)…

The Mortlock Wing is a stunning example of Victorian library architecture, and with its shelves lined with beautiful old tomes and volumes still evokes the tradition of lending libraries that in the first years of the colony was one of the only…

From Darwin’s Theory of Evolution to the steam engine, scientific enquiry and exploration of the natural world was an important aspect of the Victorian era, and like many worldly men of his time Henry kept a close eye on new developments. The early…

As South Australia’s population grew so too did its concentration of Anglicans. With the influx too great for the North Terrace’s Holy Trinity Church, a string of new places of worship were built in Whitmore Square, Halifax Street and Pulteney…

The dream of opening a Botanic Garden in the city can be traced as far back as Colonel Light. It would take nearly two decades for this idea to be realised with the 1954 establishment of the Garden at its current position just outside the square…

Colonel Light imagined the city would have a botanical garden, but after a number of unsuccessful attempts, it was finally established in its current location in 1854 on the northern side of the city grid.  The gardens followed European models such…

Piltawodli, located to the northern bank of the Torrens River, opposite the Adelaide Gaol on the current site of the North Adelaide Golf Links is an important site in the history of relations between Kaurna people and European colonists.  The site,…