Rymill Park in the eastern Park Lands is an example of a well-used recreation space.   In the post war period, beautification works created an ornamental lake and rose gardens, as well as playgrounds and picnic facilities.  The park is named after…

The elm carriageway in the South Park Lands is something of a lost treasure, but one well worth discovering, particularly in autumn.  It reflects the work of John Ednie Brown (1848-99) a passionate advocate of tree planting in the mid-nineteenth…

Veale Gardens, in the South Park Lands, is a fine example of mid-twentieth century thinking about gardens and public space.  In 1957 Bill Veale (1895-1971), the Town Clerk (chief administrator) of the City of Adelaide returned from a study tour…

Whitmore Square is the only one of the five city squares in Colonel Light’s original plan to retain its original configuration and use.  The others have been bisected by roads or tramways and reshaped to accommodate modern traffic.  Whitmore…

Victoria Square was the largest of the six squares and the centerpiece of Light’s plan, originally named ‘the Great Square’ by him.  Covering eight acres, Light imagined that it would become the commercial hub for the settlement.  In the…

Elder Park is one of the city’s favourite public recreation spaces, but had less appealing beginnings.  What is now the tranquil Torrens River Lake was once a highly variable waterway prone to flash flooding. Until the establishment of proper…

Light’s original plan imagined a cathedral in the centre of his main grid, in what became Victoria Square, named for the young British queen who came to the throne in June 1837, just three months after Light completed his survey. Augustus Short…

Montefiore Hill was named after Jacob Montefiore, one of the Colonel Commissioners for South Australia. It provided an anchor point for Light’s plan and offered a commanding view over the scope of his survey.  It has been suggested that he stood…

What is now the Torrens River separating North and South Adelaide in Light’s Plan was, at the time Europeans arrived, an abundant source of food for the Indigenous Kaurna people who occupied the area known as Karra Wirra Parri.  The river was most…

Light commenced his survey for Adelaide on 11 January 1837 at the North West corner of his central grid, now the intersection of North and West Terrace.  Of the 1042 town acres that he surveyed 700 make up the central city grid (originally called…

Colonel William Light (1786-1839) was appointed as Surveyer-General by the Board of Colonisation Commissioners in 1836.  Light’s military service had given him experience in surveying; he was widely travelled and also a skilled artist.  He had…

Harry Lockett Ayers commissioned the design of this suitably grand residence with a large ballroom facing East Terrace. It was built in 1882, and as almost certainly designed by William McMinn. Harry Ayers, foundation member of the Adelaide Club, was…

This building is quite striking due to its originality, prominent corner site and excellent condition. It was built for A.H.C. Jensen in 1896, and represents aspects of residential development in Adelaide and the relatively late development of East…

The first part of this house was built in 1878-79 for Thomas Barnfield who found success in mining ventures in New South Wales. However its historical significance comes from its association with Sir John Langdon Bonython, one-time proprietor of the…

Cartref was built in 1882 for Joachim Matthias Wendt, a silversmith and founder of one of the most prominent jewellery firms in South Australia. Wendt came from Holstein, part of Denmark at his birth in 1830. After the Prussian invasion of 1848…

Sandford House is particularly notable as the home of the William Henry and William Lawrence Bragg, Nobel Laureate scientists. The Braggs were some of the world’s earliest pioneers in the use of x-rays in medicine. They developed x–ray…

It is not clear why the Wesleyan Manse was built except that it was used as extra accommodation for the Wesleyan clergy of Pirie Street. These were uncertain times in which to build. During this period there were also moves to unify three…

Craigweil was built for Alexander Hay in 1886 in the midst of an economic depression. It is evidence of the minor impact of the financial crash on some of Adelaide’s wealthiest men, and their determination to live in fashionable homes in the city.…

From this point looking across the Parklands to the east approximately 600 metres you can see the old Victoria Park racecourse grandstand. Although horse racing was conducted in the eastern parklands from the 1840s, this structure was built in the…

This house, known originally as ‘Eothen’, was built for Charles Hornabrook, a successful hotelier. Eothen was a hugely popular travelogue by A W Kingslake about an Englishman’s journeys in the Middle East published in 1844. This home was…

St Paul’s Anglican Church was one of several Anglican churches built in the city in the early colonial period. For many years the city’s Anglican community worshipped at Holy Trinity on North Terrace, St Luke’s in Whitmore Square, and St…