Arriving in the colony on December 28, 1847, Bishop Augustus Short, brought with him £1000 and plans to build a Gothic-style Anglican cathedral. The next year he was granted an acre of land in the centre of Victoria Square. However the Corporation of…

Due to the growing population in the southwest corner, in 1853 the Anglican community decided to build a new church that could seat 450 in Whitmore Square. The Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts provided the land.The Bishop of…