This was the first two-storey public school to be built in the Colony of South Australia. Its Gothic-derived design is typical of its architect, E.J. Woods. A number of Woods’ city school buildings still survive today including St Paul’s School,…

This was once the day and Sunday school of St Paul’s Anglican Church. It is an important example of early schools run by religious denominations in the city. Before 1875, children were not required to attend school in the Colony of South Australia.…

The Model School was an early attempt to standardise education in South Australia, before the passing of the Education Act in 1875. In the early 1870s the government introduced legislation that would ensure children in the colony could get a…

The South Australian Education Act of 1875 made education compulsory in the colony. As more students enrolled in primary schools, there was a growing need for trained teachers. This building was constructed for student teachers by architects Brown…

This is the site of the former Advanced School for Girls. It was the first secondary school the colonial government established, and the first school for girls who wanted to study past primary level. A state school for boys did not appear until…