St Paul’s Anglican Church was one of several Anglican churches built in the city in the early colonial period. For many years the city’s Anglican community worshipped at Holy Trinity on North Terrace, St Luke’s in Whitmore Square, and St…

Originally known as Stow Memorial Congregational Church, this church was built between 1865-1867. It joined with the nearby Pirie Street Methodist Church in 1969, and in 1976 the church was renamed the Pilgrim Uniting Church. The church is home to a…

This was the first two-storey public school to be built in the Colony of South Australia. Its Gothic-derived design is typical of its architect, E.J. Woods. A number of Woods’ city school buildings still survive today including St Paul’s School,…

This was once the day and Sunday school of St Paul’s Anglican Church. It is an important example of early schools run by religious denominations in the city. Before 1875, children were not required to attend school in the Colony of South Australia.…

Stow Memorial Church was built between 1865-1867 as a memorial to Reverend T.Q. Stow. While he was not directly linked to this church, Stow played a big part in establishing Congregationalism in South Australia. Robert George Thomas won a…

This building's distinctive tower may seem to be out of place on Flinders Street. However, it is a symbol of the business that once occupied the premises. Otto Boettger emigrated to South Australia in 1877 from Germany. In 1877, he set up a…