As Adelaide entered its fourth decade, talk of establishing a scholarly institution befitting a modern city gained momentum. With the help of a significant £20,000 donation from Walter Watson Hughes, Parliament (led by Sir Henry as Chief Secretary)…

From Darwin’s Theory of Evolution to the steam engine, scientific enquiry and exploration of the natural world was an important aspect of the Victorian era, and like many worldly men of his time Henry kept a close eye on new developments. The early…

As South Australia’s population grew so too did its concentration of Anglicans. With the influx too great for the North Terrace’s Holy Trinity Church, a string of new places of worship were built in Whitmore Square, Halifax Street and Pulteney…

Harry Lockett Ayers commissioned the design of this suitably grand residence with a large ballroom facing East Terrace. It was built in 1882, and as almost certainly designed by William McMinn. Harry Ayers, foundation member of the Adelaide Club, was…

St Paul’s Anglican Church was one of several Anglican churches built in the city in the early colonial period. For many years the city’s Anglican community worshipped at Holy Trinity on North Terrace, St Luke’s in Whitmore Square, and St…

Nineteen-year-old Henry Rymill and his brother Frank arrived in South Australia in 1855 from England. Convinced to try his hand at colonial life by his brother-in-law J.B. Graham, Henry came armed with letters of reference in order to secure…