Due to the growing population in the southwest corner, in 1853 the Anglican community decided to build a new church that could seat 450 in Whitmore Square. The Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts provided the land.The Bishop of…

Missionary and evangelist William Hugo came up with the idea of a bushmen's club after worrying about pastoralists visiting the city and "leaving their money on the counter till it was all spent" in the pubs and hotels.He was supported by prominent…