This building was once strongly associated with the Women’s Christian Temperance Union (WCTU) in South Australia. The WCTU was initially formed in the early 1870s in the United States by a group of women concerned about the destructive effects of…

Behind the Bowen family home was the precinct of St Dominics. The school is unusual as it was founded by and for women. Six Dominican nuns and two in training arrived from Britain in 1883 to run a hospital. However, under South Australian government…

This modest house is a rare and important example of a prefabricated building brought to the colony in its earliest years. It was made by Henry Manning of London, a notable maker of “portable colonial cottages”. As early as 1825, the Quakers in…

Arriving in the colony on December 28, 1847, Bishop Augustus Short, brought with him £1000 and plans to build a Gothic-style Anglican cathedral. The next year he was granted an acre of land in the centre of Victoria Square. However the Corporation…

Holy Trinity is the perfect introduction to the city because of its connection to South Australia’s early settlement. This church is one of the oldest buildings in the city. It has been in this prominent position since 1838. The planned colony of…

Stow Memorial Church was built between 1865-1867 as a memorial to Reverend T.Q. Stow. While he was not directly linked to this church, Stow played a big part in establishing Congregationalism in South Australia. Robert George Thomas won a…

This prominent structure on Little Gilbert Street is the oldest Islamic mosque in  Australia. It is one of the few structures left that show the Muslim community's important contribution to South Australia's colonial era. Before motor vehicles…

The Draper Memorial Church on Gilbert Street was built in 1869. It commemorates the life and work of Methodist Minister Daniel James Draper. Draper, his wife and 244 passengers had tragically drowned three years earlier, in January 1866 when their…

Due to the growing population in the southwest corner, in 1853 the Anglican community decided to build a new church that could seat 450 in Whitmore Square. The Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts provided the land.The Bishop of…