This house sits comfortably among other grand two-storey residences in this section of Pennington Terrace. And as with many of its neighbours, several well-known South Australians have lived here.
Architect George Klewitz Soward designed the home in 1883 for Frederick Foote Turner. Turner migrated to South Australia in 1854 and was a successful partner in the law firm Turner and Rudall. In 1880 he became solicitor to the Lands Title office. By 1890 he was attorney-general.
The property then passed to Lucy Josephine Bagot. Lucy was the daughter of prominent politician and businessman Sir Henry Ayers and a member of Adelaide’s colonial gentry. Ayers’ own mansion is a landmark on North Terrace.
In 1879 Lucy married John Bagot, himself a member of the city’s elite. His grandfather, Charles Hervey Bagot, was a successful pastoralist, mining company director and politician. Lucy and John bought this property in 1909 and Lucy lived here until 1920.
Leading surgeon Dr Arthur Murray Cudmore then bought the house. It was ideally located, as he lectured at the nearby University of Adelaide and was a consulting surgeon at the Royal Adelaide Hospital. He also helped establish the Ru Rua Private Hospital in North Adelaide.
This house is an important example of George Klewitz Soward’s architecture. It is in the Venetian Gothic style, which was unusual for a residential design.