The 'Archbishop’s House', on the corner of West Terrace and Grote Street, is one of the earliest surviving Roman Catholic buildings in South Australia.
Following his arrival in 1844, Adelaide's first bishop, Francis Murphy, organised the construction of the first St Patrick’s Church as well as the Archbishop’s House. Prominent South Australian architect and politician George Strickland Kingston designed the residence. Bishop Murphy and a number of subsequent Catholic bishops have since lived here. Father Woods also lived here between 1867 and 1871.
Mary MacKillop visited Bishop Sheil in this house prior to her excommunication in 1871.