Australian Light Horse Obelisk and War Horse Memorial

Unveiled in 1925, the Australian Light Horse Obelisk commemorates the South Australian soldiers who fought in the First World War as part of the Australian Light Horse. The Victorian granite memorial acknowledges the three theatres of WWI where the Light Horse served - Egypt, Palestine and Gallipoli.

The War Horse Memorial was unveiled in 1923 to acknowledge the service of thousands of horses during the First World War. The memorial was originally erected in Victoria Square, but in the 1960s it was moved to its current position on the corner of East Terrace and Botanic Road.



corner of East Terrace and North Terrace, Adelaide