Between 1939 and 1949, this was the scene of thrilling fights and disputed decisions. For ten years, a boxing stadium was located just behind 184 Grenfell Street.
Few purpose-built boxing stadiums were built in the city, and consequently many bouts were held in theatres, dance halls and even the Jubilee Exhibition Building on North Terrace.
Although only open for a few brief years, many local and visiting boxers took part in matches here, including Bob "Bomb" King, Johnny Ryan, and Cyril "Butcher" Wade. In September 1949, the stadium was closed and converted into stores for the nearby markets.