The only evidence of the nine connected cottages that once stood here is the few buildings' remaining footings just beyond this plaque. In the 1850s, local businessman William Peacock erected the cottages for workers from his nearby tannery business. Known officially as "Peacock's Buildings", the cottages were more commonly called 'The Rookery', a common term for crowded clusters of basic housing often for the poor.
In 1899, the rookery was demolished. Eventually Peacock's tannery was also demolished to make way for the Adelaide Fruit and Produce Exchange.