Charlick Circuit Rookery

The only evidence of the nine connected cottages that once stood here is the few buildings' remaining footings just beyond this plaque. In the 1850s, local businessman William Peacock erected the cottages for workers from his nearby tannery business. Known officially as "Peacock's Buildings", the cottages were more commonly called 'The Rookery', a common term for crowded clusters of basic housing often for the poor.

In 1899, the rookery was demolished. Eventually Peacock's tannery was also demolished to make way for the Adelaide Fruit and Produce Exchange.

Images

Interpretive signage can now be found on the site of the former rookery.

Interpretive signage can now be found on the site of the former rookery.

View File Details Page

Interpretive signage can now be found on the site of the former rookery.

Interpretive signage can now be found on the site of the former rookery.

View File Details Page

Tannery employees of William Peacock, approximately 1871

Tannery employees of William Peacock, approximately 1871

Source: Image courtesy the State Library of South Australia, B10165 View File Details Page

Street Address:

Charlick Circuit, Adelaide [map]

Cite this Page:

Adelaide City Explorer Team & East End Coordination Group, “Charlick Circuit Rookery,” Adelaide City Explorer, accessed June 25, 2017, http://adelaidecityexplorer.com.au/items/show/195.
Trail navigation:  Previous | Trail Info | Next
comments powered by Disqus

Share this Story