Montefiore Hill / Light's Vision - Tarntanya Wama

Montefiore Hill was named after Jacob Montefiore, one of the Colonel Commissioners for South Australia. It provided an anchor point for Light’s plan and offered a commanding view over the scope of his survey.  It has been suggested that he stood there in 1837 pointing to what would become the City of Adelaide.  This idea was memorialised in a statue of Light, arm outstretched, by Scottish sculptor Birnie Rhind, which was first unveiled in Victoria Square opposite the GPO in 1906.

A viewing platform over the city was created on Montefiore Hill in 1936 to mark the centenary of the establishment of South Australia.  Soon after, in 1938 the statue of Colonel Light was relocated to this new lookout across the Torrens River valley to the Adelaide Hills.  Over time the site, and the sculpture became known as “Light’s Vision”.

The advent of the new Adelaide Oval stadium in 2014 has reduced the view of the city from here, but the vista of the valley below and hills around that framed Light’s original view remain.

Images

Light's Vision Commemoration, 2014

Light's Vision Commemoration, 2014

Creator: Jessica Cronin View File Details Page

Colonel William Light statue in original Victoria Square position, 1917

Colonel William Light statue in original Victoria Square position, 1917

Source: Image courtesy the State Library of South Australia PRG280117395 View File Details Page

Jacob Montefiore, 1865

Jacob Montefiore, 1865

Source: Image courtesy the State Library of South Australia B 11232 | Creator: Photograph by Fradelle & Young View File Details Page

Video

Cite this Page:

“Montefiore Hill / Light's Vision - Tarntanya Wama,” Adelaide City Explorer, accessed July 22, 2017, http://adelaidecityexplorer.com.au/items/show/227.
comments powered by Disqus

Share this Story