Crossing over the University footbridge just before we reach War Memorial Drive, we enter what was the first arboretum in South Australia – established in the 1920's by the City Council and named after then-Councillor George McEwin.

These trees predate the much more extensive Waite Arboretum at Urrbrae. Councillor McEwin in 1921 wanted to have trees of “economic value” (as he put it) planted here.

It is not recognised or signposted as an arboretum any more.

Images

Audio

Spoken description - McEwin arboretum
Creator: Adelaide Park Lands Preservation Association
View File Record

Map