This state-heritage listed bridge is named after Queen Victoria's husband, Prince Albert.
This walk stays on the northern side of the bridge, but you can cross over the bridge to read an interpretive sign on the southern side, which gives some of the history.
The original bridge close to this site was destroyed by flood in 55, then forcing all traffic over the Torrens to go across the City Bridge in King William Road. It didn't take long to recognise that a single bridge was inadequate so in 1871 this “new” crossing was planned just slightly upstream from where the old one had been flooded away. However even back then, it was a long time (eight years) between the concept and the reality.
Eventually, the construction of this substantial bridge greatly improved communication and transportation of goods between northern and southern Adelaide.
This Albert Bridge was designed by Henry Worsley together with John Grainger who was the father of the great composer Percy Grainger. John Grainger was born in London but lived in Adelaide where he practised as an architect and civil engineer. He later moved to Melbourne where he designed the Princes Bridge as well as notable buildings in Western Australia such as the Perth law Court, and the Houses of Parliament. He also designed the Ambassadors Hotel in King William Street.
Opened in 1879, the bridge was made from iron brought over from the UK. Construction cost £9,000.
The foundation stone was laid by the then-Mayor, Henry Scott. The bridge has a span of 36 metres broken into two spans of 9 metres and a central span of 18 metres.
In 1933 the original timber decking was replaced with reinforced concrete which was again replaced in the 1980s.
In 2000 guard rails and improved lighting were added to improve safety while retaining its gracious features.