Adelaide University Park Lands sign

This sign marks a small victory for the Adelaide Park Lands Preservation Association. In 2014 a North Adelaide businessman, Stephan Mavrakis, contacted the Association. Back then there was a different sign here. The old sign read: “University of Adelaide Sports Grounds – University Oval - Ground use by booking only.”

Mr Mavrakis sometimes had a group of his workmates, and friends play a friendly game of soccer here after work. However grounds staff employed by the University would eject them, at one stage threatening to call the police if he and his friends did not leave.

It took two years of working with the University and the City Council to get an acknowledgement from the University that they had no authority to do that.

The University was required to change the sign to this one. As the sign now makes clear, the land is free for anyone to use – except on the occasions when the University itself is using it.

This land has been a sports ground for almost 150 years. On an 1871 map this land is marked as “football ground” That pre-dates the founding of Adelaide University.

From here we keep walking north along the Frome Road footpath until we find a street (MacKinnon Parade) on our right.

Images

Audio

Spoken description - Adelaide University Park Lands sign
Creator: Adelaide Park Lands Preservation Association
View File Record

Map