This garden, dating from the early 1920s is a tribute to the women of South Australia and their contributions during the First World War.
The “Garden of Remembrance” includes a Cross of Remembrance and Stone of Remembrance which is inscribed with words by Rudyard Kipling from Ecclesiasticus—“Their Name liveth for Evermore”
There is an interpretive sign to one side of the Garden.
At the crossing you will see, on one side, Ataturk’s Tribute to the World War One soldiers in both Turkish and English. On the other side of the crossing is 'the 'Eternal Flame' contributed by the City Council in 2006.
The Lord Mayor of the 1920s, Charles Glover, perceived the Garden to be "somewhat the form of an open air cathedral". The cost of the memorial was about £4,000, raised by voluntary contributions from South Australian women.
The Garden consists of a Cross of Sacrifice, 11.6m high, heading a rectangular garden aligned to the façade of St Peter’s Cathedral. In fact, the layout of this garden is a mirror image of St Peters.
The Cross and Stone were concepts derived from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission to unify graves in France with memorials proposed in Australia.
The project involved Tea Tree Gully sandstone under local architect Sir Alfred Wells. Local builder Walter Torode undertook the works; and was paid only £100 for his labours.
A foundation stone was laid by Governor Sir Archibald Weigall in 1920. The Cross was unveiled on Anzac Day 1922 and the Remembrance Stone a year later.
From this point we cross back over the road and head south again, to the corner of Sir Edwin Smith Avenue and War Memorial Drive.