This Adelaide Bridge - a State Heritage place - was built in 1931.
It was the third bridge on this site, replacing two earlier ones, and was the fifth bridge that linked the City and North Adelaide across the Torrens.
The first bridge on this site was erected in 1839 just after the founding of the colony. It lasted 38 years before its replacement was built in 1877. However, the 1877 bridge was considered out of date by 1920, as it was often congested, especially when trams were crossing the bridge (pictured).
The City Council decided to do away with the bottleneck, by providing a bridge of the same width as King William Road. The design was by the city engineer.
There are two interpretive signs – one on each pylon (north and south) on the eastern side of the bridge, where we're walking. When built in 1931, it was considered enormously wide – over 40 metres. Light standards on the pylons were erected much more recently, in 2003.
From here, we head south, across Victoria Drive, to the rose garden in front of a large paved area known as the Torrens Parade Grounds.