Pioneer Women’s Memorial Garden

This garden of remembrance off King William Rd opposite Elder Park was established for South Australia's Centenary Year of 1936 by the women of South Australia as a tribute to the pioneer women of the state. There is an interpretive sign here, which includes some history.

The statue, by Ola Cohn was erected five years after the garden, in 1941, during the Second World War, but it's not a war memorial. It represents "the spirit of womanhood capable of giving birth to a nation".

To the south of here, up the hill and behind the wall, is Government House, the residence of the State Governor. The grounds of Government House are opened to the public twice per year on a Sunday. On this walk, however we are turning around and heading back towards Victoria Drive across the large bitumen area.

Images

Audio

Spoken Description - Pioneer Women's Memorial Garden
Creator: Adelaide Park Lands Preservation Association
View File Record

Map