This park is named in two different languages after two men with vastly different connections to the area.
Kadlitpina was a Kaurna elder at the time of colonisation. He was known to the Europeans as Captain Jack. Regarded as a ‘military genius’, he was appointed an honorary constable and attended meetings with the Governor and other officials. Kadlitpina was a friend of the colonists, and became a main source of information on Kaurna language and culture. In 1838 he attended a ‘get to know you’ affair held for the people of Adelaide by Governor Gawler in the Park Lands, and would likely have taken part in displays of skill in activities such as spear throwing. His portrait can be found in the South Australian Museum, and on a plaque at Pirltawardli, (Park 1) on the North bank of the Torrens, near the par 3 golf course and the Torrens Weir.
Kadlitpina would never have met John Rundle, after whom the park was first named in 1907. A successful businessman and member of the British parliament, Rundle was one of the original directors of the South Australian Company, which formed in London in 1835 to establish a new colony here. Rundle Road, which creates the southern border of this park is also named for him. John Rundle, however, never set foot in South Australia.