From right to left (looking from inside the park), they are the Grandstand Entrance Gates, the Turnstile Building, and the former offices of the Adelaide Racing Club. In 2017, the buildings were re-purposed for use as a café.
The middle turnstile building was built in 1926, to the design of prominent Adelaide architect Kenneth Milne. It contained ten original cast-iron turnstiles – an indication of the size of the crowds drawn by horse racing to the park.
The Grandstand Entrance and Racing Club offices were added on either side in 1954. Notice the decorative design character of both, indicative of the period, including timber flagpoles, glazed terracotta, and wrought iron work.
The line of Queensland bottle trees running parallel to the buildings were likely planted in the early 1930s. This is the largest plantation of this species in Adelaide. It’s easy to imagine the eagerly queuing racegoers enjoying their shade in summer.