From the 1850s to the 1870s, Bragg Park / Ngampa Yarta was used mainly for agistment of livestock, grazing and firewood collection. Within two decades of settlement, (by the 1860s) most of the native vegetation had been removed. An increased desire to rectify the barren landscape prompted the commissioning of a city-wide report in 1880 addressing the capacity for renewal. This Park, however, was unfavourably regarded. The 1880 report particularly noted its thin soil with a strong layer of limestone beneath. This perhaps accounts for the mostly stunted nature of the trees within Ngampa Yarta.
At the beginning of the 20th century, a new city gardener August Pelzer undertook major replanting in some parts of the Park Lands However the northern Park Lands were largely neglected (at that time) in favour of the south and eastern Park Lands.
It wasn’t until the 1960s that the City Council engaged in major replanting, both trees and understorey, the majority of which were natives.
You can see river she-oak, sweet scented hakea, and weeping myall among the native species here.