In the words of the Adelaide Mayor of the time, Charles Glover, playgrounds were important to “promote the happiness and well-being of the children of the City”. The Mayor himself provided personal financial support to enable the development of a fully equipped playground on this site, of two acres, adjacent to South Terrace.
Mayor Glover donated £863 toward the playground, over two years in 1918-19.
As originally designed, there were two grassy areas, one area for girls, and one for boys – as well as shade trees, children’s garden plots, sand piles, wading pools, seating and equipment such as swings and see-saws.
Over the course of 12 months the supervisor of the playground recorded over 6,000 attendances per month, equivalent to 200 per day, We don't have current attendance figures because playgrounds these days don't have “supervisors” on site.
However it's very popular especially in fine weather and on weekends. The fully fenced area contains equipment intended mostly for children 7 years and older. There's a flying fox, climbing net, brightly coloured caterpillar tunnels and a large swinging hoist.
There's also a bnck shelter, with a brass plaque mounted on the wall recording the opening of the Playground in 1918 by the State Governor. This building has what is recognised as “Edwardian” architectural traits. Although it has a relatively modern colourbond roof, the shelter retains its original form, original brickwork, and basic spatial configuration, including the public toilets on either side.
The playground features a pair of mature English Elms and a group planting of eight Golden Ash specimens dating from 1927.