One of the most prominent former features of this Park was moved away from here, in the early 2000s, after the South Park Bowling Club closed.

The feature was a memorial commemorating the members of South Park Bowling Club who served in World War One. It's a white painted concrete obelisk topped by an urn with four lions, standing about head-high.

For many years, while the South Park Bowling Club existed on this site, the soldiers memorial was fittingly placed here at the club. It was originally unveiled at the site of the Club in 1917 while the first world war still raged on. At this location the memorial had the lions spouting water, surrounded by a river-pebble covered circular pond.

In 2009 it was re-installed at its new home, just one and a half kilometres south from here at the Soldiers’ Memorial Gardens on the corner of Unley Road and Thomas Street, at Unley.

Unfortunately the water features were not included at its new Unley location.

Images

Audio

Spoken description - South Park Soldiers' Memorial

View File Record

Map