Training School for Teachers

The South Australian Education Act of 1875 made education compulsory in the colony. As more students enrolled in primary schools, there was a growing need for trained teachers.

This building was constructed for student teachers by architects Brown & Thompson. It had a large lecture hall with rounded corners to amplify sound. There was also an apparatus room, a library and reading room, and a museum of the latest educational appliances. Student teachers could practice in a schoolroom that held 75 children. There were also two other classrooms, a principal’s room, a waiting room and a private room for female students.

As well as the principles and practice of teaching, student teachers also studied grammar, geography, history, and music. Female student teachers had to learn domestic services and male student teachers were taught drill.

The South Australian Register newspaper noted in 1876 that study at the Training School was intense because "such is the demand for teachers in South Australia that for the present it has been decided to limit the stay in the Training School to six months, instead of two years, which is the rule in England and elsewhere, and which it is hoped may erelong become possible here."

In 1908 the Model School and the Training School combined to become the new Adelaide Continuation School for boys. Later that year it joined with the Advanced School for Girls to become Adelaide High School. 

The following year the Superintendent of Public Buildings, C.E. Owen Smyth remodelled the building. He added a second storey, and a new staircase to connect the floors. The building changed from Gothic to Tudor style, with the castellations added to the roof line. You can see the changing styles in the windows of the two floors.

Images

Map

109 Grote Street, Adelaide