Sacred Glass

Trail curated by: Natalie Carfora

Adelaide's stained glass windows are among the most diverse and interesting in Australia. The city's first stained glass window arrived in 1836 aboard the HMS Buffalo, one of the first ships sent to established the new British colony. It was installed in Holy Trinity Church on North Terrace, marking the beginning of the Colony of South Australia.

Religious communities were mainly responsible for the earliest examples of stained glass windows in Adelaide. Anglican and Catholic parishioners commissioned many of the stained glass windows that can still be found in the city's churches.

Stained glass windows were also fairly common in early secular buildings. A number of colonial houses on South Terrace feature stained glass imported from Britain. Prominent 19th Century families, including the Ayers, the Barr Smiths, and the Bonythons were all important patrons of stained glass in both domestic and business settings.

The popularity of stained glass in South Australia also saw the establishment of a local glass industry in the 19th Century. A number of small local studios designed and made stained glass for the city's businesses and residents.

Often the subject matter of the city's stained glass windows was determined by the placement of the window and the design fashions of the time. Religious windows mainly feature traditional iconography, such as biblical stories, while secular windows were often designed to mark important national events, such as Australian Federation in 1901.

Locations for Trail

In the late 19th Century, there was a push in South Australia to encourage practical instruction in engineering, mining and agriculture. By the beginning of the 20th Century, a new building was needed for The School of Mines and Industry. Prominent…

The North Wing of the South Australian Museum is home to a set of stained glass windows that were installed in 1893. The windows were made in South Australia in 1880 at the Waymouth Street studio of artists, Montgomery and Grimbly. The windows were…

135-139 Rundle Mall was once the home of a well-known South Australian glass merchant business, Clarkson Limited. The business's showrooms were opened here in December 1932.In 1848, German migrant Heinrich Ludwig Vosz arrived in the Colony of South…

Bertram House was built in 1897-1898 for the British and Foreign Bible Society,one of the biggest publishing movements in the world. First founded in London in 1804, the Society was responsible for publishing and distributing Bibles. The building is…

This is an example of a building detail best appreciated from the inside. The former Stock Exchange building is now the home of the Royal Institution of Australia. As you enter turn left and walk towards the main staircase. At the top of the…

At first glance, this building appears to be like any other office block in the city. However, if you head inside to the foyer and turn around to look back towards Pirie Street, a surprising feature above the entryway may provide a clue to its…

Originally known as Stow Memorial Congregational Church, this church was built between 1865-1867. It joined with the nearby Pirie Street Methodist Church in 1969, and in 1976 the church was renamed the Pilgrim Uniting Church. The church is home to a…

St Francis Xavier's Cathedral was designed to built in stages, so that each section could be constructed as funds became available. As such, the cathedral was built between 1851-1926. As the first cathedral in Adelaide, St Francis Xavier is home to a…
comments powered by Disqus