Blue Gum Park / Kurangga (Park 20)

Introduction and naming

Rectangular in shape, it is one of the most picturesque and well-used parts of the Adelaide Park Lands. It hosts a number of highly appreciated sporting facilities for BMX bikes, petanque, basketball, tennis, hockey and athletics, as well as a…

History of Blue Gum Park

This ended in the 1860s, when the Kaurna were driven out and their camps burnt. Accordingly, sociologists report some Kaurna have associated parts of the South Parklands with ‘spiritual danger’. From the 1850s to the late 1870s Kurangga was used…

Petanque in Blue Gum Park

Petanque has been played in Adelaide only since 1973. The writer and film producer Wylton Dickson is credited with introducing it to Adelaide as ‘the poor man’s bowls’. Petanque came to the South Park Lands in 1982 and to this site shortly…

South Park Lands Creek

For much of its length it’s not a natural watercourse but an artificial drainage channel that was built in 1917 to channel water away from the Greenhill Road – Fullarton Road intersection, and through the South Park Lands. However here in Park 20…

BMX Bike Tracks in Blue Gum Park

It is a hub for BMX recreation. Bike riders of all ages and skill levels can enjoy a variety of different bike tracks – from beginners to advanced. Suitable for a range of bikes, this is the perfect area for family and friends to get out, be active…

Mature trees of Blue Gum Park

Some are as old as the 1880s. They include Moreton Bay figs, Carob, Canary Island Pine, Bunya Bunya, Hope Pine, Himalayan Cypress and also some olive trees. As long ago as 1882 an Italian olive expert brought to Adelaide, Paolo Villanis catalogued…

Glover Playground

In the words of the Adelaide Mayor of the time, Charles Glover, playgrounds were important to “promote the happiness and well-being of the children of the City”. The Mayor himself provided personal financial support to enable the development of a…

Sporting grounds in Blue Gum Park

It hosts a variety of sporting grounds and facilities including publicly accessible netball and basketball courts, an athletics and running track, soccer pitches, cricket and hockey fields, and tennis courts. Many of these grounds are used by…

Pathways in Blue Gum Park

A diagonal pathway across this Park was implemented in accordance with John Ednie Brown’s Report of 1880 It's known as Sellar Avenue after a City Councillor of the late 1800s (James Sellar). It's lined with white cedar trees, and runs…

Vegetation in Blue Gum Park

Sellar Avenue is lined by many fine elderly specimens of white cedar dating to just before the First World War (1910-12). Some Hackberry trees have been planted at the south-eastern end of Sellar Avenue to replace dead white cedar trees. The…

Tennis and hockey facilities

Lawn bowls developed into a major sport in the Parklands from 1897, when the Adelaide Bowling Club had its first home on part of the Government Reserve on the northern section of Kintore Avenue. The South Park Bowling Club off Peacock Road was the…

Former soldiers memorial

The feature was a memorial commemorating the members of South Park Bowling Club who served in World War One. It's a white painted concrete obelisk topped by an urn with four lions, standing about head-high. For many years, while the South Park…

High-ropes adventure course

The City of Adelaide has approved an eight-year lease – not of the ground – but of the tree tops. The 16,000 square metre course in the tops of the existing mature trees is to be available for paying customers but the ground below is still to be…

Horse riding in Blue Gum Park

After 1950 there was a revival in equestrian activities. In 1951 the Horse Riding Clubs Association of SA was granted a small ground for its pursuits in Blue Gum Park / Kurangga, east of the South Park Bowling Club. However, by the 1980s most of…