Bonython Park / Tulya Wardli (Park 27)

Introduction - Bonython Park Kiosk

Although it was marked on 19th century maps as “Section 6027” the Park number “27” came into use only in the 1960s. From 1837 up until the late 1950s this area was used and abused for many purposes, and rarely resembled a park. It was only in the…

Bonython Park Adventure Playspace

The playspace boasts a 25-metre flying fox, wheelchair accessible merry-go-round, giant mouse wheel, slippery dips, water play and a chance for children to become an archaeologist and dig for bones in the sand pit. It also contains two very big…

Bonython Park ‘Billabong’ and terraced garden

Historical evidence suggests this area was a billabong used as a fishing spot for the Kaurna people prior to European settlement. Following the arrival of European settlers from the late 1830s to 1914 it was used as a watering venue and cattle…

The Magic Forest & Native Bee N Bee Project

Labelled “a place to dream your dreams”, the mixed eucalyptus planted grove was a 1997 initiative of the Children’s Peaceful Environment Foundation, in conjunction with the Adelaide City Council. Within the Magic Forest is a native bee “hotel” built…

Roma Mitchell Garden

Behind the fence you can see a sign Roma Mitchell Garden. This garden was tended by prisoners until the gaol closed. Since the 1990s it has been maintained as a garden by the Catholic Order of Malta which includes Adelaide's world-famous…

Adelaide Gaol, west wall

This prison was the longest continuously operating prisons in Australia, open for 147 from 1841-1988. It is one of the two oldest public buildings in Adelaide. The Gaol is a State Heritage Place and a Museum and runs a number of different tours for…

Olive Grove and SA Police 'greys'

The grove was established in 1862 by Sheriff Boothby, and was regularly maintained and harvested by Adelaide Gaol prisoners until the City Council eventually took over the role. Progressively the plantations were felled to make way for railway line…

Kate Cocks Park

This area, along with the land on the opposite side of the road - adjacent to the railway line – was named (in September 2017) as Kate Cocks Park. The area on the right contains a few more olive trees and was used as an additional police horse…

Thebarton Police Barracks

The Barracks cover 2 hectares of Park 27. Originally they had a kitchen, administration quarters, dormitory, stables, chaff mill, farriery, saddlery, and quarantine shed. These days, it is used by about 250 employees for mounted operations, dog…

Road Safety Centre and 'Gift of Life' Garden

The South Australian Police Road Safety Centre boasts real traffic lights, give way signs and even roundabouts. The Centre provides road safety education for schools and community groups Monday to Friday during school terms, but on weekends and…

Bonython Park Entrance Art Sculpture

Here, you will find two art works, one on either side of the path. They were erected in 1997 as part of road reconstruction and widening works for Port Road. Also here you will see a cast iron marker denoting the edge of the Strangways and…

Model Boat Pond

A popular feature of Bonython Park, the pond can be used by children or adults, for sailing model boats, including by remote control. From 7.30am to 1pm on the weekend non-powered model boats take to the water, and after 1pm till sunset it is time…

Bonython Park community open spaces

On the right is a family picnic area with tables, barbecues, tree shade and plenty of open grass not far from the Adventure Playspace. Further west adjacent to Port Road is a large bitumen car park. In managing the Park Lands, the City Council faces…

Bonython Park circus and events site

This area is best known for its long history of entertainment, with visiting circuses having camped at Bonython Park since 1953. Bullen’s Circus, which was then described as Australia’s largest, was the first circus to camp on this site that later…

JE Brown Park & Bunyip Trail

J.E. Brown Park is the relatively new name for the area of Park 27 that is on the other side of the River extending across to the Railway line . Among other things J.E. Brown Park features the Bunyip trail, an activity trail for children. Based on…

Bonython Park: First settlement and Kaurna significance

South Australia was founded as a colony on 28 December 1836 – what we call “Proclamation Day” with a ceremony at Holdfast Bay. Only a few days later, the first settlement was begun here in Adelaide, and the first site occupied by Europeans was…

Bonython Park: Naming and landscaping in the 1960s

At that point it was named in honour of prominent South Australian politician and journalist Sir John Lavington Bonython, who died in 1960. He was the son of John LANGDON Bonython. Bonython Hall on North Terrace, part of Adelaide University is named…

Bonython Park - Park Lands Trail

This is Australia’s longest hills-to-coast path. It is ideal for families wanting to spend time together walking, riding, running or taking the family dog for some exercise. This part of the River Torrens Linear Park also forms part of the Adelaide…

Return to Bonython Park kiosk - the slaughterhouse site

As we come back to our starting point you'll notice a building made of Carey Gully sandstone, just like the kiosk. That's a maintenance shed and electricity substation for the Park. The Bonython Park kiosk is made of the same sandstone.…