Coles Building

Harry Norris, a Melbourne based architect, travelled overseas to study the latest in retail architecture for this new store for GJ Coles Pty Ltd. This 1939 building is a standout in the Art Deco catalogue of Adelaide buildings and is often mistaken…

The Grand Picture Theatre

The Grand Picture Theatre opened on 30 November 1916 for the Lord Mayor and other dignitaries before it officially opened to the public the next day with ‘The Fool’s Revenge’. In the early 1930s, the auditorium was modified to an Art Deco style, and…

Sands and McDougall Building

The facades of several city buildings were dramatically modernised between the two world wars. One was Sands and McDougall's South Australian headquarters on King William Street. John Sands and his brother-in-law Thomas Kenny formed a printing…

Laubman and Pank

Carl Laubman and Harold Pank opened a small optometry business in 1908 in Victoria Square. By the 1930s, it had become the largest retail optical business in Australia. In 1934 the partners bought a building in Gawler Place formerly occupied by…

Savings Bank of South Australia Head Office: ‘The Radio Cabinet’

The Savings Bank of South Australia's head office is one of the few significant tall buildings built in Adelaide during the Second World War. It is the maximum height the building regulations allowed at the time. The bank's headquarters had been at…

Kelvin House

Kelvin House is the first tall building in Adelaide to include the Art Deco style. It was built between 1925-1926 as an office for the Adelaide Electric Supply Company Limited. The company moved here from its former headquarters on the corner of…

National War Memorial

A city memorial to those who fought in the First World War was first discussed in 1919. Architecture firm Woods, Bagot, Jory and Laybourne Smith won a competition with their design, The Spirit of Sacrifice. The firm worked with Sydney sculptor Rayner…

West's Theatre

West's Olympia Cyclorama was Adelaide's first permanent theatre. It opened on this site on 5 December 1908. The building once housed a skating rink. In 1939 the theatre's owner, T.J. West, decided to knock it down and build a modern one in its place.…

Picadilly Cinema

The Piccadilly Cinema was one of the last cinemas constructed in Adelaide before the Second World War, opening with much anticipation on the 23 October 1940. The Piccadilly's owner, Dan Clifford, was a widely known promoter of the motion picture…