Pinky Flat - Tarntanya Wama

What is now the Torrens River separating North and South Adelaide in Light’s Plan was, at the time Europeans arrived, an abundant source of food for the Indigenous Kaurna people who occupied the area known as Karra Wirra Parri.  The river was most…

Colonel William Light's Vision

Colonel William Light is the celebrated surveyor-general who chose the site of the capital city for the colony of South Australia. Although controversy dogged his work in the 1830s, his vision for a planned city divided into north and south and…

Holy Trinity Church

Holy Trinity is the perfect introduction to the city because of its connection to South Australia’s early settlement. This church is one of the oldest buildings in the city. It has been in this prominent position since 1838. The planned colony of…

Beresford Arms

This former hotel is one of the city’s most important and precious heritage sites despite its humble appearance. The simple structure was built in 1839, just two years after Colonel William Light first laid out the city. The hotel is named Viscount…