Its construction was made possible by a large inheritance which Samuel George Smith received from his father’s estate in the early 1860s. Tenders for erection of three shops were called for by architects Daniel Garlick and Son in 1886. The…

In 1857, William Kither Snr took over a butchery established on this site the previous year. William Jnr worked for his father, succeeding him after his death in 1869. By 1880, this Italian Renaissance style building, designed by Rees and Hornabrook,…

Licensed from New Year’s Eve 1838 as the Cornwall Inn by William John Williams, the first publican, the hotel traded as the Plough and Harrow Hotel from 1844. After being rebuilt for the fourth time in 1927 to the design of Murray Richardson, it was…

Located alongside the Richmond Hotel, this war-time 400 seat cinema, opened New Year’s Day 1943 as the Liberty. It was also known as the Curzon Theatre over the years. Described as ‘the aristocrat of intimate cinema’, it became Adelaide’s first art…

Harry Norris, a Melbourne based architect, travelled overseas to study the latest in retail architecture for this new store for GJ Coles Pty Ltd. This 1939 building is a standout in the Art Deco catalogue of Adelaide buildings and is often mistaken…

Adelaide Arcade, the first arcade erected in Adelaide, opened in December 1885 and was funded by Saul Solomon, Lewis Henry Berens, Joachim Matthias Wendt, Robert Carr Castle, Hermann Koeppon Carl Wendt, Emanuel Cohen and Patrick Gay. The design by…

The most opulent theatre on Rundle Street was the Regent Theatre, built in 1927-1928 to the design of architects Cedric, Ballantyne & Associates of Melbourne and English, Soward & Jackson of Adelaide. The elaborate plasterwork was done by…

Within a year of his arrival James Calder had returned to his calling of baker and confectioner. His early years of business were a struggle, the manufacturing methods were laborious and tedious, and the machinery capable of only a limited production…

This building was constructed in 1925 for Birks’ Chemists to the design of architects McMichael and Harris. At 18 years of age, George Napier Birk obtained a position as a pharmaceutical apprentice with Mr F H Faulding in his chemist shop at 5 Rundle…

When CJ Young’s Shoe Co. was rebuilt in 1925-1926, it was described as an artistic addition to the architecture of Rundle Street. Novel methods were used to rebuild the shoe store. In order to allow business to proceed, the architects Charles W Rutt…

The Grand Picture Theatre opened on 30 November 1916 for the Lord Mayor and other dignitaries before it officially opened to the public the next day with ‘The Fool’s Revenge’. In the early 1930s, the auditorium was modified to an Art Deco style, and…

Occupying the other prime site is Waterhouse Chambers, a group of shops and offices built in 1847-1850 for Thomas Greaves Waterhouse. Thomas, a financier, and his brother John operated a grocery business on Rundle Street before returns from the Burra…

By 1850 the western entrance to Rundle Street was framed by two significant buildings. Occupying one of the prime sites within the City of Adelaide, the previous Beehive Corner building was a two-storey simple structure with a chamfered corner. It…

Apron by South Australian artist Karen Genoff is a tribute to the markets that were once such an important part of Adelaide’s East End. The installation was commissioned by the State Government and it was installed in 1997. The sculpture’s focal…

Beehive Corner is arguably the most popular and well-recognised buildings in Adelaide. Its distinctive corner turret, showing the year of construction, is in the shape of a beehive. On top sits a lone gold bee. A drapery shop known as the Beehive…

To really appreciate this Victorian-era building, you need to take a few steps back and look upwards. It is fairly plain at eye level, but its first and second floors are far from ordinary. Architect Daniel Garlick and his son Arthur tendered their…

If you stand in front of the Adelaide Arcade in Rundle Mall, you will see Australia’s Commonwealth Coat of Arms proudly displayed high above on the building’s dome. But how is this possible? The Adelaide Arcade was built in 1885, and the first Coat…

Like so many of Adelaide’s heritage hotels, the Exeter has seen a number of makeovers since it opened on this site in 1851. The hotel we see today was rebuilt here in 1888- rumour had it due to competition from the nearby Tavistock Hotel. The…