Bertram House was built in 1897-1898 for the British and Foreign Bible Society,one of the biggest publishing movements in the world. First founded in London in 1804, the Society was responsible for publishing and distributing Bibles.
The building is Gothic in style, giving it an ecclesiastical appearance that further hints at its religious association. Stained glass windows and leadlight are a prominent feature at the front of the building. The windows are simple, tinted glass set within lancet and wide panels. All of the glass used to manufacture the windows were locally sourced.