It is not clear why the Wesleyan Manse was built except that it was used as extra accommodation for the Wesleyan clergy of Pirie Street. These were uncertain times in which to build. During this period there were also moves to unify three denominations of the Methodist Church. This was partly due to the similarity of religious doctrine and partly because it was costly to maintain church properties, especially where congregations were small.

Plans by architect John Haslam for the manse were approved in 1884. The building was finished in 1885. It shares both its architect and its detailing with nearby Rymill House. The manse was used by the church for only 12 years. Five different parsons lived there.

It was sold in 1896 to James Henderson, who named the house Duntocher after a village in Scotland. The asymmetrical facade to East Terrace is typical. It has a gabled projecting wing and an adjacent verandah and balcony. The masonry arcading to the ground floor, with its timber balustrading to the east, north-facing verandahs and the unusual detailing on the gabled face, is unusual in Adelaide.

The construction is of high quality, with sandstone walling used with stuccoed and brick dressings. This building reinforces the grand residential character of East Terrace. The garden wall, embellished with cast iron decoration, adds to its visual contribution to the street.