This building is quite striking due to its originality, prominent corner site and excellent condition. It was built for A.H.C. Jensen in 1896, and represents aspects of residential development in Adelaide and the relatively late development of East Terrace.
The design by architect Frederick Dancker recalls earlier Victorian return-verandah villas. It features an elaborated version of enclosed porch-hall extension, and substantial bay windows heavily accented by gabled roofing. The fine stucco work, especially on the porch with its niche-like window and Ionic pilasters, stands out. It is well built of squared random coursed freestone complemented by elaborate cast iron enrichment to an ogee-profiled verandah, with gables and roof cresting over the enclosed porch. A substantial masonry perimeter wall topped by cast iron railing complements the building at the corner of East Terrace.
Dancker was one of the first members of the South Australian Institute of Architects. His delightful orientalist work – described as ‘Venetian Gothic’ on the Our Boys Institute was completed the same year as Weeroni. He is best remembered for his residential work, although he designed churches, hospitals, shops and offices. His designs are typically rich in detail but always strongly emphasising the major practical aspects such as windows (particularly bay windows) chimneys, towers, turrets, verandahs and balconies.
Council approved plans for this house by architect F.W. Dancker on July 13, 1896. The two-storey additions at the rear of similar construction and style were approved on September 24, 1923. Weeroni remains a highly significant and prominent element on the Wakefield Road entrance to the city from the east.