With its elevated position and views of the Adelaide Hills, this Park shows how Colonel. Light responded to the topography of the area in creating the plan for his City. The use of this land has shifted over time, from its use by the Kaurna people, to despoiled grazing land; and from neglect and disuse, to becoming an important centre for one very specific community activity.
Ngampa Yarta is a Kaurna language name. It means “Ngampa root ground”, referring to an edible root that was important to the diet of local Kaurna people. Pre‑colonisation, this area would have been used as a site for camping by the Kaurna people. It lay on several movement routes used by the Kaurna, and would have provided an abundant source of game.
In September 2017 the Adelaide City Council decided to give this Park a second name. As part of a new policy of giving English names to all Parks (in addition to the Kaurna names) they have called this “Bragg Park”.
Why “Bragg Park”? In Adelaide's history there have been two famous men both named William Bragg. They were father and son – both physicists – both joint winners of the 1915 Nobel prize for physics (each specializing in X-rays) and both later knighted. The father, Sir William Henry Bragg was born in England in 1862 and migrated to Adelaide. His son Sir William Lawrence Bragg was born in Adelaide in 1890, but spent most of his career in the UK. The younger Bragg would have been one of the first persons in Adelaide to have had an X-ray, courtesy of his pioneering father, when the younger Bragg had broken his arm, at age 6.
Perhaps he might have broken his arm playing in this very Park?