Petanque has been played in Adelaide only since 1973. The writer and film producer Wylton Dickson is credited with introducing it to Adelaide as ‘the poor man’s bowls’.
Petanque came to the South Park Lands in 1982 and to this site shortly afterwards. The first club dedicated to the game, Club De Petanque d’Adelaide - was set up by the French Australian Association in 1977.
This building was originally the home of the Horse Riding Clubs Association of South Australia. The Petanque club took over the lease in the 1980's. The building is leased from the City Council.
In April 2017 Club De Petanque D’Adelaide celebrated its 40th Anniversary, making it Australia’s oldest petanque club – although it hasn't been all 40 years on this site. Regular competitions are held here.
This area was also known as a place to play illegal 'two-up' in the early 1900s. On a Sunday morning in 1909 it was reported that bands of men and boys were playing in paddocks in the vicinity of Unley Road and Greenhill Road. Curiously, two-up was not usually played in or around Adelaide's pubs, but mostly in quiet alleyways, yards, sand dunes, the back of tea rooms, shops, beaches and on the Park Lands, including the many football club sheds dotted around them.