The feature was a memorial commemorating the members of South Park Bowling Club who served in World War One.
It was a white painted concrete obelisk topped by an urn with four lions, standing about head-high.
For many years, while the South Park Bowling Club existed on this site, the soldier’s memorial was fittingly placed here at the club.
It was originally unveiled at the site of the Club in 1917 while the First World War still raged on.
At this location the memorial had the lions spouting water, surrounded by a pebble covered circular pond.
In 2009 the memorial was re-installed at its new home, just one and a half kilometres south from here at the Soldiers’ Memorial Gardens on the corner of Unley Road and Thomas Street, at Unley.
The water features were not included at its new Unley location.
Now walk west to a bitumen path T-junction at the northern end of the hockey compound. Cross over the Kurrajong Avenue bitumen path. Walk west, right through the bush for about 25 metres and look for a stobie pole, supporting a high electric cable.