By 1850 the western entrance to Rundle Street was framed by two significant buildings. Occupying one of the prime sites within the City of Adelaide, the previous Beehive Corner building was a two-storey simple structure with a chamfered corner. It housed the offices of architect Edmund Wright, the Adelaide Times newspaper and a drapery shop named the Beehive, which had a gilt beehive decorating the front door.
The earlier building was replaced in 1895-1896 by this ornate three-storey neo-gothic revival style complex for then owner, Henry Martin. It was designed by English and Soward and incorporates a gold bee on the corner.