Beehive Corner

By 1850 the western entrance to Rundle Street was framed by two significant buildings. Occupying one of the prime sites within the City of Adelaide, the previous Beehive Corner building was a two-storey simple structure with a chamfered corner. It housed the offices of architect Edmund Wright, the Adelaide Times newspaper and a drapery shop named the Beehive, which had a gilt beehive decorating the front door.

The earlier building was replaced in 1895-1896 by this ornate three-storey neo-gothic revival style complex for then owner, Henry Martin. It was designed by English and Soward and incorporates a gold bee on the corner.



2-6 Rundle Mall, Adelaide (north side)