The Grand Picture Theatre opened on 30 November 1916 for the Lord Mayor and other dignitaries before it officially opened to the public the next day with ‘The Fool’s Revenge’.
In the early 1930s, the auditorium was modified to an Art Deco style, and the name changed to the Mayfair Theatre. In 1953, the auditorium was modernised and the theatre began screening long runs of major films, projected onto the 40 feet wide screen. It was re-named Sturt Theatre and was under the ownership of the Greater Union Theatres chain.
The theatre closed in 1976, and was remodelled into offices. The handsome five-storey facade is all that remains of this theatre which was built for sole proprietor Alfred Drake to the design of architects RRG Assheton & AJC Assheton.