When CJ Young’s Shoe Co. was rebuilt in 1925-1926, it was described as an artistic addition to the architecture of Rundle Street. Novel methods were used to rebuild the shoe store. In order to allow business to proceed, the architects Charles W Rutt and George G Lawson, had to arrange for the top storey to be built first. This was done by implanting a number of girders into the walls of the two neighbouring buildings, which had also recently been rebuilt.
The Georgian style facade is dominated by the large bow window giving the building a distinctive appearance. The glazed bricks were ultra-modern at the time and are still unusual in Adelaide today.