The most opulent theatre on Rundle Street was the Regent Theatre, built in 1927-1928 to the design of architects Cedric, Ballantyne & Associates of Melbourne and English, Soward & Jackson of Adelaide. The elaborate plasterwork was done by Hopkins Pty. Ltd.
Described as ‘Australia’s most luxurious theatre’ and a ‘palace of art’ when it opened on 29 June 1928, the Regent’s lavish interior featured seats for 2,298 patrons, marble stairs, portraits, tapestries and a sculpture. There was provision for a stage and full orchestra. A large Wurlitzer organ, now in Memorial Hall at St Peters College, played at movie screenings.
Suitably, a grand charity variety show filled the stage on the Regent’s last night as a grand cinema in 1967 before the stalls and downstairs foyer were converted into an arcade and the stage space used as part of a second cinema. This smaller version cinema survived until 2004.