Coles Building

Harry Norris, a Melbourne based architect, travelled overseas to study the latest in retail architecture for this new store for GJ Coles Pty Ltd. This 1939 building is a standout in the Art Deco catalogue of Adelaide buildings and is often mistaken for a late 1950s modern style design.

A commanding curved corner mounted with a vertical neon sign spelling out COLES was visible from well down Rundle Street - expressing the departure from the traditional rectilinear carved stone designs of the past. The entire fa├žade is clad with orange tiles - a bold statement of colour!

Images

Map

112-118 Rundle Mall (north side)