Located alongside the Richmond Hotel, this war-time 400 seat cinema, opened New Year’s Day 1943 as the Liberty. It was also known as the Curzon Theatre over the years.
Described as ‘the aristocrat of intimate cinema’, it became Adelaide’s first art house, showing foreign films which were referred to as ‘sizzlers’. The large first floor display window was used to advertise its current attraction.
The building was originally constructed in 1901-1902 for H L Vosz Ltd (reputedly Australia’s oldest glass, oil and colour business) to the design of architects English & Soward. This business developed into Clarksons Ltd.