In 1857, William Kither Snr took over a butchery established on this site the previous year. William Jnr worked for his father, succeeding him after his death in 1869.
By 1880, this Italian Renaissance style building, designed by Rees and Hornabrook, replaced the old shop. The premises captured popular attention when the South Australian Electric Company introduced the first commercial lighting in Adelaide here on a Saturday night in 1882.
The first butcher’s refrigerator in Adelaide occurred here in 1884. Kither was known as the ‘knight of the cleaver’. He died in 1911; however the shop continued to operate until 1930, when it became the workshops of the glass merchants, Clarksons Limited.