Its construction was made possible by a large inheritance which Samuel George Smith received from his father’s estate in the early 1860s.
Tenders for erection of three shops were called for by architects Daniel Garlick and Son in 1886. The flamboyantly styled building was described as being ‘... built in the German treatment of the Renaissance... much the same style as that at present in vogue in the Fatherland’.
The glories of this building are in the facade of the upper two floors. The superb ornate plasterwork was done by Charles Vernon whose artisan touch can also be seen in his former home in Symonds Street, Adelaide.