Ngampa Yarta is a Kaurna language name. It means “Ngampa root ground”, referring to an edible root that was important to the diet of local Kaurna people. Pre‑colonisation, this area would have been used as a site for camping by the Kaurna people. It lay on several movement and trade routes used by the Kaurna, and would have provided an abundant source of game.
In September 2017 the Adelaide City Council decided to give this Park a second name. As part of a new policy of giving English names to all Parks (in addition to the Kaurna names) they have called this “Bragg Park”.
In Adelaide's history there have been two famous men both named William Bragg. They were father and son – both physicists – both joint winners of the 1915 Nobel prize for physics (each specializing in X-rays) and both later knighted.
Sir William Henry Bragg was born in England in 1862 and migrated to Adelaide. His son Sir William Lawrence Bragg was born in Adelaide in 1890, but spent most of his career in the UK. The younger Bragg would have been one of the first persons in Adelaide to have had an X-ray, courtesy of his pioneering father, when the younger Bragg had broken his arm, at age 6.
Perhaps he might have broken his arm playing in this very Park?
Earlier on this walk, we saw Canary Island PINE trees along the edge of O’Connell Street.
In 1928, an avenue of about 70 Canary Island PALM trees was planted here along Robe Terrace. They're still here, and you can see they are thickest here, near the corner of Main North Rd.
These Palms became such a well-recognised feature of Park 5 that they survived a road-widening scheme in the year 2000. At the time of the road widening they were transplanted a few metres south to stay alongside the new, wider road.
Just behind the palm trees is another pine tree which is spot-lit at night with two large lights beneath it.
From this point, walk along the avenue of Canary Island palm trees. Go past all of them until you reach the next road intersection, which is the corner of Medindie Road.