44-08 Re-alignment of Le Fevre Road between Parks 4 and 5; and native vegetation

Parks 4 and 5 haven't always been this shape and size. Up until the 1960's Lefevre Rd was straight, not curved.

The road re-alignment in the 1960's improved traffic congestion and made Bragg Park / Ngampa Yarta (Park 5) a little larger than it had been. Conversely, it shrunk the size of neighbouring Reservoir Park / Kangatilla (Park 4).

The original path of Lefevre Road would have gone straight through where the toilet block now stands.

Pause on the path and look at the vegetation around you.- especially on this side of Lefevre Road.

From the 1850s to the 1870s, this Park - Bragg Park / Ngampa Yarta (Park 5) - was used mainly for agistment of livestock, grazing and firewood collection. Within two decades of European settlement, (by the 1860's) most of the native vegetation had been removed.

In the late 1870’s the City Council decided to try rectifying the barren landscape.

They recruited a forestry expert from Scotland, named John Ednie Brown.

In 1880, Mr Brown produced a city-wide report addressing the capacity for renewal of Park Lands vegetation. This Park, however, was unfavourably regarded in Mr Brown’s report.

His 1880 report noted the thin soil here, with a strong layer of limestone beneath. This perhaps accounts for the mostly stunted nature of the trees within Ngampa Yarta.

At the beginning of the 20th century, a new city gardener August Pelzer undertook major replanting in some parts of the Park Lands. However, these northern Park Lands were largely neglected (at that time) in favour of the south and eastern Park Lands.

It wasn’t until the 1960s that the City Council engaged in major replanting, both trees and understorey, the majority of which were natives.

You can see river she-oak, sweet scented hakea, and weeping myall among the native species here.

From this point, just cross Lefevre Road and enter into Park 4.

Images

Audio

Audio File 1
View File Record

Map